SK Sarvpriya Raj Kumar
Additive Manufacturing of Racing Motorcycle Chassis by Functional Generative Design - Concept to Production
End to end product designed and developed digitally by using multi-disciplinary apps of CATIA, DELMIA, SIMULIA of 3D Experience Platform and CATIA V5
Created on 2020.06.26 1197 views
The project has been developed as my Master’s thesis in Product Design. The purpose of this project has been to combine my educational knowledge in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design and Additive Manufacturing (AM) with the internship experience that I have acquired in Prototyping and Product Development process. AM forms an integral and fundamental part of Industry 4.0. Since many years AM has been used mainly for Rapid Prototyping but during the last few years it is being adopted by companies for large scale production. Moreover, it is being utilised in tandem with the conventional manufacturing processes. It is also possible that in the coming it years it might even completely substitute them. - Innovation Originality and creativity of the Project The chassis or frame is the most important structural part of the Motorcycle (MC) as the engine, front assembly, rear assembly, the subframe and seating arrangement of the rider is attached to it. There is a vast difference between a chassis of a Racing MC and a Street MC as parts for Racing MC are designed and developed for performance and speed as they undergo high amount of forces whereas parts for Street MC focus more on aesthetics and economic value. The key objectives which the project revolves around are mentioned as follows:
- Design & development of Chassis of a Racing Motorcycle of 250cc category or entry level racing category.
- Developing an innovative chassis with the help of Functional Generative Design (FGD) by eliminating the various manufacturing processes of different parts which ultimately requires fabrication for final assembly by Additive Manufacturing (AM) process.
- Use of 3D Experience Platform of Dassault Systemes for Design, Analysis, Optimization and development of a Product.
- Commercialisation of the product in the form of a start-up or collaboration with industry to finally generate employability.
- Product Specification:
- Material : Aluminium 6061
- Overall dimension: 640 x 620 x 290 mm
- Weight of the structure before Functional Generative Design : 8 Kgs
- Weight of the structure after using Functional Generative Design : 6 Kgs
- Prototyping and Improvements:
- FDM Additive Manufacturing process is used to print parts for Scaled model (0.5) designed for conventional machining process chassis which are manually assembled to develop the final structure.
- Feedback for improvement of design is received from Thesis advisors and professors.
- Digital Marketing/Launch of Product:
- ‘CATIA live Rendering’ is used for making realistic images from developed CAD model.
- Scaled model or mock-up of the product will be showcased during final thesis presentation at the university.
- I used an end-to-end solution of 3D Experience Platform of Dassault Systemes at each stage of product development for reaching the objective with more innovation in digital space. Through the course of product development I learnt the vast range of softwares that Dassault Systemes offers to its customers which helps in manufacturing an optimised product.
- 3D Experience Platform of Dassault Systemes has given me a great opportunity for enhancing my skill-set and has helped me to put into practice my approach of ‘Learning By Doing’.
- I look forward to funding for manufacturing of Physical Prototype, Certification and further development of the product as preliminary steps for a start-up.
Discover the team
Who’s behind this project
Discover the solution
Software used for this project