It's no secret that humans poop — even in space. But the actual, physical act of going to the bathroom while floating in space can be tricky, to say the least. In a new contest, NASA is calling on innovators from around the world to develop a new space toilet that would work not just in microgravity such as aboard the International Space Station, but also in lunar gravity aboard a future lunar lander as part of NASA's Artemis program which aims to return humans to the moon by 2024.
The challenge is being overseen by the NASA Tournament Lab and organized on the HeroX crowdsourcing site.
Participation & Rewards
There are 2 categories of participants (as an individual or as a team):
- Technical category: 18 years old and more
- Junior category: from 11 to 18 years old
The contest has a total prize purse of $35,000 USD to be shared by winning Technical category teams.
The authors of the three most compelling submissions in this category will each win:
- A cash prize
- An opportunity to talk directly with NASA engineers and possibly with an astronaut about the proposed toilet design
- A private tour of the Johnson Space Center (travel to Houston is not included)
This challenge will also recognize the top three submissions from the Junior category, one per age group. The authors of these three submissions will each receive:
- A public recognition from NASA and from HeroX,
- A winner’s certificate
- An item of official NASA-logoed merchandise.
- Additional “mystery” prizes may also be awarded to winners of the Junior category. Such prizes could include a video call between the winner’s science class and an astronaut, or NASA-logoed specialty items (patches, pins, etc).
cost & registration
The entry is totally free.
- REGISTRATION DATE: JUNE, 25 TO AUGUST, 17
- JUDGING: AUGUST, 18 TO SEPTEMBER, 23
- TECHNICAL WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT: SEPTEMBER, 30
- JUNIOR WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT: OCTOBER, 20
Click here to participate
Be prepared, get the 3DEXPERIENCE for FREE
Ready to participate in the Lunar Loo Challenge? Register below to obtain free access to the 3DEXPERIENCE now!
The 3DEXPERIENCE is our latest solution on the Cloud, which brings together CATIA, SIMULIA and SOLIDWORKS all in one place!
Find all the learning content you need to start working on the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform in a few minutes!
For more information, please visit this dedicated website: HeroX
Contact for support
Please send an email at Support.3DSAcademy@3ds.com